Home / Travel Insurance / Seniors cover / FAQs Seniors Travel Insurance

Seniors Travel Insurance FAQs

senior couple travellers

Get a quote now

Your ‘golden years’ are a great time to get out there and see the world. We have put together some frequently asked questions about travel insurance for seniors to help plan your trip. Visit our Seniors Travel Insurance page for further information and tips on getting coverage.

What if my relatives or family are sick?

We can only consider claims by You arising from the health or death of a Close Relative or Your business partner if at the Relevant Time the chances of claiming were unforeseen.

We will not pay any claims if any person on whose health Your Journey depends:

  • Has received a terminal diagnosis prior to the commencement or renewal of the policy;
  • Is on a waiting-list for, or has been advised of the need for: surgery, inpatient treatment or investigation at any hospital or clinic; or
  • Has required surgery, inpatient treatment or hospital consultation related to the heart, lungs or kidneys in the last 3 months prior to the commencement or renewal of the policy.
  • Has an Existing Medical Condition, unless the person is hospitalised or dies in the UK after the Relevant Time and at the Relevant Time the chance of a claim occurring is highly unlikely. In any event, we will not pay more than £1,500 under all sections of the policy combined.

Claims caused by the health of other people (those people not listed above) are not covered by the policy. For full details about coverage under specific benefits, please refer to the Policy Wording.

“Close Relative” means Your spouse, civil partner, parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, parent-in-law, grandparent, child, step-parent, brother-in-law, sister-in-law and fiancé(e).

“Relevant Time” in respect of:

a) Single Trip policies means the time of issue of the policy.

b) Annual Multi-Trip policies means the first time at which any part of the relevant Journey is paid for or the time at which the policy is issued, whichever occurs last.

Do I need to provide a medical certificate or information from my doctor if I make a claim?

Yes, the medical certificate on the claim form will need to be completed by the usual GP of the person whose health caused the claim. A specialist report may also be required. We may require additional information in order to assess your claim including full medical history..

Do you have a Seniors Card discount?

No, sorry. You can adjust the price of your premium through altering the excess, additional extras or changing the plan altogether.

How can I pay for my policy?

You can pay online using Visa or MasterCard.

Is there an age restriction for seniors travel insurance?

Yes. Policy availability is subject to age, departure date, duration of trip and area of travel. Plans may not be available to all travellers and limits may apply to travellers over 70 years old. You can get a quote online from our website if you are younger than 84 years old. If you are older, please call us on 01245 272 408 to discuss your coverage options.

Do I need to buy a specific policy if I’m a senior traveller?

No, we don’t have specific travel insurance policies for senior travellers. Cover-More offers a range of policy options to help you find a plan that best suits you.

What is my excess?

When purchasing your policy, you can choose for your excess to be either £Nil, £75 or £200. Please note that when selecting an excess of £75, claims made under Section 1 Medical and dental expenses will always have an excess of £100 applied if you are under 50 years of age or £125 if aged 50 or over.

Keep in mind that the higher the excess, the lower the premium. Excess is the amount that is deducted from a claim and is applied per event, per section and per person. Your Certificate of Insurance will have the excess amount shown.

Why is seniors travel insurance more expensive?

The older you get the higher your risk of health issues. Your travel insurance premium is influenced by the higher risk of health issues. There’s a greater chance of seniors cancelling a trip or requiring medical assistance while travelling including medically assisted repatriation to return home. That’s why premiums are often higher for senior travellers.

Am I covered for anything that could go wrong on my trip if I get premium cover?

We cover a wide range of mishaps, and will be there to support you if something goes wrong. Travel insurance can't cover everything that may go wrong on your trip – otherwise policies would be super expensive. It is important that you read the Policy Wording so you are aware of what our policies cover and what exclusions apply. If you’re unsure, call our team on 01245 272 408 and they can help explain.

Can I get cover if I have an existing medical condition (EMC)?

In many instances, yes. Cover-More can provide cover for a variety of existing medical conditions, but cover must be separately applied for and accepted by us. To apply for cover for your EMC, you must complete a medical screening which can be accessed during the quote process on our website. If you need some help with this, give our friendly team a call on 01245 272 408 and we’ll be able to help you through it. Keep in mind that cover may be subject to special conditions, limitations, excesses and amounts payable if accepted. We will be sure to notify you in writing of these before we issue the policy.

Please read the Policy Wording for full details.

What if my health changes after my policy has been issued?

You will need to let us know if your state of health, or the health of anyone who your journey may depend on, changes before you depart for your trip. This includes if a new condition develops or an existing medical condition worsens.

If you do not tell us about a change in health, we have the right to amend, restrict or cancel your cover under the chosen policy.

What is the assessment process for an existing medical condition?

Complete the online assessment form when you get a quote or call our customer service team on 01245 272 408. You need to tell us about all your conditions. We will complete the assessment to determine if we can provide coverage for an additional premium.

What if I can’t get cover for an existing medical condition?

If cover for your EMC was denied in the assessment you will not have any cover for incidents relating directly or indirectly to your existing medical condition(s), but may still have cover under the policy for things like lost luggage or travel documents etc. Call us on 01245 272 408 to see what sort of policy we can put together for you.

What happens if I don’t declare my EMC?

You should always declare any existing medical conditions when purchasing travel insurance. By doing so, we will be able to determine whether or not coverage for your EMC can be provided. If you do not declare your EMC, then cover will not apply to any claim arising from your existing medical condition/s.

What do I do if I need unexpected and immediate medical treatment overseas?

If it’s an emergency, call the local emergency line straight away. Then when you can, call our 24-hour Emergency Assistance team so we can help. We will require a medical report from the treating doctor, details of your medical history and information from your GP as well as details of the cost of your overseas treatment. We can deal with the hospital directly while you focus on getting better. Claims are subject to approval.

We use cookies to provide you with a better service. Carry on browsing if you're happy with this, or find out how to manage cookies.